After three weeks of travel I’m back in NYC and realized how much I love this great city. Sure there are 8 million plus people living in a cramped few miles but there is such energy and hustle that I can’t help but falling in love with over and over again. I reached out to my best friend, Carolyn Stine, who happens to be an expert of all things food and things to do to share a few of her favorite things in the big apple! Follow Carolyn’s journeys on instagram at carobaker1.
What are a few of your favorite touristy spots in NYC?
- Museum of Natural History – this is where I go to be a kid again. Don’t miss out on the Butterfly Conservatory, which is open through Memorial Day weekend
- Barneys in Chelsea – the NYC icon returns to it’s original location on 7th Ave and is visually stunning and drool-worthy in every sense of both words
- Serendipity – the line is long and the food is far from gourmet, but the frozen hot chocolate will NEVER get old and brings me back in time to special occasion lunches with my Mom
What are a few of your favorite stores?
- John Derian – my favorite home goods and gifting store of all time. Even when I don’t need anything, I pop in just to get inspired
- 192 Books – I’m an enormous book worm, and this tiny Chelsea gem has an expertly curated selection, and often hosts talks with various authors
- Thomas Sires – I always find something bright and colorful here, whether it’s a pom-pom beach bag or the perfect witty birthday card for a friend. Plus it’s on an idyllic Elizabeth Street block that’s spot-on for strolling
What are a few of your favorite morning restaurants?
- Greecologies – the freshest Greek yogurt, and you can choose whether you want savory or sweet toppings. They serve bulletproof coffee and amazing matcha lattes here too (and the outdoor garden is just lovely)
- High St on Hudson – my new favorite spot, end of story. Get a freshly baked loaf of bread to-go, or sit down for the best, locally-sourced breakfast sandwich of your life
- The Doughnut Project – like everything bagels? This gourmet donut spot riffs on the classic bagel with an everything DONUT. Another don’t-miss – the chocolate donut topped with pretzel and potato chip crumbles
What are a few of your favorite evening restaurants?
- Polo Bar – get the bone-in rib eye and spend the rest of your life thanking me. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a restaurant with this level of precision in terms of the decor, service, and overall experience
- Emily – restaurants are normally known for one thing – the pizza, let’s say, or the burger. Emily does both with a level of crave-worthy excellence that just blows me away. And the s’more calzone for dessert? I CAN’T EVEN
- Carbone – 2 words: spicy rigatoni. And the caesar salad. And the chicken scarpariello. And the entire dessert cart. Don’t forget the complementary tomato bread and other goodies that come at the beginning of the meal while you browse the torso-sized menus. It’s old school and a total home run