I asked my most in the know friend, Carolyn Stine, to share with us her go to spots in some of the best cities. Check out her city guide for LA and follow her on instagram @Carobaker1, be prepared to drool.
1. Help us make better touristy choices, what are 3 touristy spots in LA we must check out?
- LACMA - a modern art lover’s dream. Plus there’s a lot of interactive installations, like the “Urban Light” lamp posts that have become an Instagram sensation
- Griffith Park - this one is twofold: the hiking trails around this park showcase some gorgeous LA vistas, and the Observatory lets you explore the outer reaches of the solar system
2. If you had 3 neighborhoods to visit, where would you go?
- Venice Beach - strolling on Abbot Kinney with an iced coffee in hand is one of life’s great pleasures. Top it off with sunset cocktails at Hotel Erwin and your day is golden (literally)
- Larchmont Village - this little downtown strip in Hancock Park is such a neighborhood gem for shops and foodie spots alike. Hit up Go Get Em Tiger for an almond milk latte and Salt and Straw for inventive ice cream flavors (I was there before Thanksgiving and one had turkey cracklings in it - no joke)
3. What are 3 of your favorite restaurants?
- Sqirl - THE HYPE IS REAL! Just do yourself a favor and order the entire menu. The combinations of flavors and ingredients are incredibly inventive, but there is also something simple and unfussy about this spot that keeps people coming back for more
- Hinoki and the Bird- tucked away in Century City, this Asian fusion gem is divine for dinner. Don’t miss the black cod and the chili crab toast (plus the atmosphere is supercharged and the people watching is just right)
- Gjelina - this Abbot Kinney mainstay has received international attention, and for good reason. Every single thing there is fresh, visually stunning, and insanely delicious. Don’t miss out on the namesake cookbook as a take-home for you (or a gift for a lucky friend)